Can you really cleanse your liver?
Can you really cleanse your liver?
The liver is a most marvellous organ! Did you know it’s the only organ in the human body capable of regenerating itself even if up to 90% of it has been removed?1
Located beneath the diaphragm, it weighs 1.5kg in an adult and is the largest solid internal organ in the body. It has one of the most important functions in the human body – processing and removing toxins.2
Like other organs in your body, a healthy liver is important for the normal functioning of the body and removal of waste. To maintain your liver health, there are some natural ways to cleanse your liver.
How can you detox your liver naturally?
How long does it take for the liver to detoxify? According to the American Addiction Center, it takes the liver takes about 7 days to detox from alcohol.3
Medical experts say the liver has the ability to naturally cleanse itself but there are some common sense rules when it comes to looking after your liver.4
#1 Avoid excess fatty food and alcohol
The liver is responsible for removing toxins from your body so anything consumed in excess will affect its ability to do its job. Excessive drinking even for a few days at a time leads to the more fats in the liver. Long term and excessive drinking can lead to liver disease.
Eating fatty foods can also cause a build-up of fat in the liver leading to fatty liver. Avoid eating processed meats, sausages or animal fat. Stick to lean meats, chicken or fish and lots of leafy, green vegetables.
#2 Reduce toxins in your home, diet and lifestyle
We are exposed to hundreds of toxic chemicals every day in our homes, through the food we eat, and even in our workplaces. New research published online found that Australians are eating and inhaling microplastics in their homes.5
These toxins need to be removed from the body and that’s where the liver comes in.
Because the liver is primarily responsible for removing toxins from your body, it follows that reducing the amount of toxins you’re taking in via your diet, through your skin, or breathing in will reduce the load on your liver and enable it to stay healthier.
Choosing natural fabrics, vacuuming your carpets, choosing to buy and eat organic food and using organic skincare can all help in reducing the amount of toxins we take in, and in turn reduce the load on our livers.
#3 Drink water
Our bodies are 60% water and water is essential for normal cell functions and transportation of waste around the body. However, research shows that many Australians don’t drink enough water, instead choosing beverages like coffee and tea which can dehydrate the body.6
Drinking the right amount of water daily helps reduce the detoxification burden on the liver and kidneys, helps your blood transport the toxic waste to be eliminated faster and prevents constipation.7
Carry a water bottle with you, and always choose water over any other drink for good liver health.
NUTRIWAY™ Milk Thistle and Dandelion
NUTRIWAY™ Milk Thistle and Dandelion contains a combination of three powerful herbs; milk thistle, dandelion root and turmeric. Together, they work as a liver tonic that has been shown to help protect the liver against free radical damage.
NUTRIWAY™ Milk Thistle and Dandelion acts as a liver tonic, which helps to protect the liver from free radicals generated by smoking, regular drinking and air pollution. It also helps to support the liver in performing its natural functions such as detoxing the body and metabolising fats and carbohydrates at an optimal level.
- Milk thistle provides powerful antioxidant support
- Dandelion root and turmeric deliver antioxidant protection
- exclusive Nutrilite™ acerola concentrate and citrus bioflavonoid complex provides natural protection for cells
NUTRIWAY™ Milk Thistle and Dandelion is recommended for anyone who:
- eats fatty foods or has a generally poor diet.
- has a poor digestive system.
- is trying to lose weight.
- uses oral contraceptives, Hormone Replacement Therapy or other drugs containing hormones.
- drinks alcohol on a regular basis.
- is exposed to pesticides, solvents or other environmental pollutants, smokes.
- is feeling tired, irritable or sluggish.
- wants to "spring" clean their liver in combination with a healthy diet program.
Adults and children over 12 years of age: take 1 tablet 2 times per day, preferably with meals.
- Children under 12 years of age, pregnant or lactating women, or anyone with a medical condition should consult with a healthcare professional before using this product.
- Contains no added dairy, gluten, yeast, lactose or soy.
- Always read the label. Use as directed. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional.