5 easy vegan snacks you can make at home
You don’t always need to buy commercial, vegan snacks from the supermarket. With prices at a premium, supermarket options can be expensive and may also contain preservatives, extra sugar, or high sodium. Making vegan snacks at home is healthier because the ingredients are fresh and free from additives or preservatives.
It’s super simple and easy to make homemade vegan snacks. We’ve put together a list of 5 vegan-friendly snacks which are healthy and taste delicious. Non-vegans will like them too! You don’t need expensive ingredients to make these snacks.
#1 Trail mix or mix nuts
Nuts are great source of healthy fats, protein, and minerals. Eating small to moderate amounts of nuts can help keep sugar cravings at bay and support heart health.
Munch on a handful every time you feel hungry or carry them around in your purse. Offer them to children while on the go or as an after-school snack. Tasty nuts include almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, pine nuts and hazelnuts. For more variety, mix them with some coconut shavings and dried fruit.
Make your own homemade trail mix with 3 easy combinations recommended by a dietitian.
#2 Bliss balls
Somehow supermarket-bought bliss balls taste nowhere near as nice as fresh, homemade ones. Bliss balls can be made with simple, vegan-friendly ingredients like almond meal, nuts, coconut flakes, cacao powder, dried fruit available in your pantry plus you can roll them up in 5 minutes or less.
Here’s a simple recipe for homemade vegan bliss balls1:
- raw and unsalted whole cashews
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- medjool dates (pitted)
- cacao powder
- vanilla extract
- agave or your favourite natural sweetener
- Process all ingredients (except coconut) in a blender
- When combined, roll into small balls
- Dip and cover in coconut
#3 Veggies with a dip
Is there anything more pleasing to the eye than an array of rainbow vegetables with a yummy beetroot or hummus dip?
Slice green capsicum, red bell pepper, cucumbers, carrot sticks and arrange on a platter for an after-school snack or something to munch on between meals.
Veggies are a great source of fibre, vitamins and antioxidants needed for a healthy body and immune system.
#4 Air-fried vegetable chips
Air-fried chips are a healthier alternative to buying fat-saturated, hot chips in shops. You can use potato peels or sweet potato to make a delicious snack. Sprinkle some sea salt over it and you’ll have a yummy treat available whenever the munchies hit!
Air-fried chips are also lower in calories, low in salt and have extremely low levels of saturated fat compared to regular chips. Serve with your favourite relish or sauce. Yum!
#5 Chocolate-dipped fruit
Have a sweet tooth? Try dipping strawberries or slices of bananas or even kiwis into chocolate and chilling the fruit until it’s ready to serve.
Use seasonal fruit where possible and experiment with different flavour combinations. Turn it into a fun activity for the kids and get them involved!
Looking for a vegan snack to go?
Vegan Bites by NUTRIWAY® (Cocoa and Hazelnut or Apricot and Oat) is available in Australia and New Zealand and made from plant-based ingredients. These Vegan Bites have added prebiotics and fibre to support your digestion. Packed conveniently into a resealable pouch with no preparation required, you and your family can enjoy healthy snacking wherever you are!
Vegan Bites by NUTRIWAY® is a mini but mighty snack powered by plants and other wholesome ingredients such as pea protein and dates with added fibre and prebiotics to support digestion.
Key features are:
- free from eggs and dairy, making it suitable for vegans
- no artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives added
- no added sugar and is naturally sweetened with fruit
- source of fibre
- contains prebiotic inulin to support digestion
- contains around 1g of pea protein per serve
- contains non-GMO ingredients
Who is it for? Anyone:
- looking for a dairy-free and plant-based treat
- after a portable and convenient snack between meals, such as recess and lunch
- keeping away from any refined or added-sugar foods
- Contains: Tree Nuts.
- May contain: Gluten, Peanut, Sesame and Soy.
- Caution: May contain fruit pit or nut shell fragments
- Store in a cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight. Reseal pouch in-between snacking to maintain freshness.