3 top ingredients for delicious homemade protein bars
Protein bars are an easy and healthy snack to eat on the go and they taste really good. The bars contain lots of great ingredients like protein, fibre, vitamins, and minerals. Snacking on protein bars in-between meals stop hunger cravings and provide a slow release of energy when you need it most.
You can either make your own protein bars or buy readymade bars (check the label carefully to avoid extra sugars, preservatives or carbohydrates).
If you prefer to make protein bars at home, we’ve rounded up 3 healthy ingredients that come with a range of health benefits.
Peanut butter is a popular ingredient in protein bars for good reasons. It’s readily available on supermarket shelves, comes in smooth or crunchy textures, and is cheaper than almond or cashew butters. If you’re feeling adventurous and wanting to save a few dollars, it’s easy to make your own peanut butter too.
Peanuts are high in protein making it perfect to use as a source of protein in bars. 100g of these tiny nuts deliver a whopping 25g of protein.1 Other health benefits of peanuts:
- Source of good fats which can help lower cholesterol levels in blood
- Micronutrients like copper, magnesium, vitamin E
- Raw peanuts are rich in fibre which is essential for a healthy gut
When choosing peanut butter, check the nutrition label to make sure it has only the basic ingredients which are peanuts and salt. Avoid peanut butters with hydrogenated vegetable oils, added sugars or preservatives which are bad for health.
Coconut oil is a rich source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), a type of saturated fat. Some research shows that consuming coconut oil can help support weight loss by increasing the number of calories burned by your body.2
Use a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil to help bind dry ingredients together plus it’s a healthier option than butter. Since it is so high in fats, coconut oil should be used in small quantities as too much of it can lead to weight gain.
Chia seeds, pepita seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and even flax seeds are a healthy addition to homemade protein bars. Seeds are high in fibre, good fats, vitamins, antioxidants, and micronutrients. They have small amounts of protein too helping to boost the nutrition content in the protein bars and lead to satiety.
Experiment with different seeds for crunch and texture when making protein bars.
Other delicious ingredients for homemade protein bars include:
- Dried fruits
- Other types of nut butters
- Desiccated coconut
Should you add honey to protein bars?
Honey’s beneficial properties work best when used at room temperature as applying heat can cause its enzymes and compounds to break down and reduces its nutritional value. Use it in no-bake protein bar recipes and choose agave nectar or maple syrup if baking the bars.
What ingredients should you not use in protein bars?
Avoid using high amounts of sugars or fructose syrups in protein bars as these are unhealthy and can cause weight gain. Stick to natural sweeteners in moderation like honey, maple syrup or agave nectar. Where possible, use natural ingredients like dried fruits which come with their own sugar content.
Looking for a high protein, low-carb protein bar?
XSTM Protein Bars are a convenient, on-the-go and guilt-free snack, available in 4 delicious flavours - Chocolate Fudge, Choc Mint, Cookies & Cream, and White Choc Raspberry.
Whether you have just finished your workout or looking for an afternoon snack, choose XSTM Protein Bars which are high in protein but low in carbs.
With 10 grams of protein and around 1 gram of carbohydrates, XSTM Protein Bars are perfect for anytime of the day. The bars contain no artificial colours, flavours, sweeteners, or GMO ingredients.
Who is it for?
- People on the go wanting a healthy and convenient snack option
- Anyone wanting a protein boost before or after a workout
- Anyone following a weight management plan
Why choose XSTM protein bars?
- Helps to promote lean muscle by providing your body with a good source of quality protein.
- Supports muscle growth and helps to improve recovery after physical activity.
- Healthy alternative that is low in trans-fat. Contains less than 0.1g of trans-fat per serve.
- Provides your body with a source of fibre.
- It’s a perfect snack size: each bar is 30g.
- Formulated Supplementary Sports Food.
- Excess consumption may cause a laxative effect.
- Maximum of 3 servings per day.
- This is not a source of nutrition and should be consumed in conjunction with a nutritious diet and an appropriate physical training or exercise program.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Not suitable for children under 15 years of age or pregnant women. Should only be used under medical or dietetic supervision.
- This product contains milk and soy. May contain tree nuts and gluten.